- Position Title: Director of Facilities
- Name of Institution: Averett University
- Campus Location: Danville, VA
- Contact: Aaron Howell
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Close Date: February 08, 2019
Under the direction of the Vice President for Business & Finance, the Director of Facilities provides professional leadership for the planning, development and management of all University facilities as well as general management and supervision for all related operations (maintenance, outsourced grounds, outsourced custodial and transportation/parking). The Director of Facilities will work closely with senior management and staff in the facilities planning and management capacity to support the overall academic mission of the University. This full time, exempt position will plan and direct fiscal and human resources for the maintenance and safety of all existing and proposed facilities.
- Manages the activities (plans, designs and construction) associated with scheduled maintenance, remodels and renovations.
- Plans and directs fiscal and human resources for related operations (maintenance, outsourced grounds, outsourced custodial and transportation/parking).
- Participates in the development of the University's disaster preparedness plan in coordination with Averett's Emergency Management Team, local fire, law enforcement, and civil disaster officials.
- Serves as first-responder to weather or other events which impact the facilities. Responsible to anticipate, plan for, and schedule staff to respond to all campus-affecting events.
- Develops and manages environmental compliance and safety programs including the hazardous materials control program (hazardous waste management and toxic waste regulation enforcement), water quality control, pesticide/insecticide use, air quality management and resource conservation and recovery.
- Plans and directs the preparation of bid specifications and bid documents, the analysis of bids, recommendations for bid awards, the negotiating of contracts, cost analysis for special procurement recommendations, and the expansion and maintenance of current vendor resources.
ADA and Travel
Position is a working supervisor position. As such, walking campus buildings and climbing stairs, ladders, etc. Occasional crawling in tight spaces. Physical effort associated with maintenance and repair work. Occasional lifting of heavy objects or equipment.
- Five (5) years of management and supervisory experience managing multiple facility related functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid/current driver's license required at time of hire and to be maintained throughout employment.
- Knowledge of: laws and ordinances pertaining to the specific responsibilities of the position; supervisory and managerial concepts and principles; budget management; facilities management and construction management principles and practices; public procurement/bidding policies and procedures; modern technology affecting facilities management, printing services and transportation services.
- Ability to: apply University policies, rules and procedures; ensure compliance with all laws, regulations and policies through effective supervision and leadership; motivate and provide supervision to a diverse group of employees; plan, lead, organize, coordinate and implement a diverse and large number of campus functions; develop and implement various plans and programs in support of efficient, cost-effective University operations and services; ensure effective, courteous customer service from employees supervised; compile, organize and use various financial information necessary in the preparation of unit budgets; prepare, control and monitor budgets; communicate well, both orally and in writing with all levels of employees, governmental representatives, contractors, vendors, architects, engineers, and the general public, i.e., community members and groups; analyze administrative problems and prepare comprehensive, clear and concise reports and recommendations; make sound, educated decisions; work independently; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work with diverse populations; make required mathematical calculations accurately; and maintain records accurately and completely.
- Licensed HVAC technician
- Licensed electrician
- Licensed plumber
- Licensed elevator mechanic
- Major capital project management experience
Since 1859, Averett University has grown and developed into a dynamic institution that serves students of all ages, offering more than 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, along with five graduate programs with a number of concentrations. Dedicated to preparing students to serve and lead as catalysts for positive change, the University’s historic main campus is embedded in the heart of Southern Virginia with regional campuses throughout Virginia and online. Averett enrolls a diverse student body, and boasts an alumni network that spans the globe.
Submit Letter of Interest, Current Resume/Curriculum Vitae (CV), and 3 Professional References to:
Selection Committee, Director of Facilities,
c/o Aaron Howell, VP Business & Administration & CFO,
420 West Main St.,
Danville, Virginia 24541
Email address: email@example.com
Position will remain open until filled. Averett offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Background checks are required for all positions. A drug screen is required for this position.
- An applicant must have an unrestricted right to work in the U.S.
- Averett University’s policies, programs and activities, including hiring practices, comply with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression and veteran status.
- Averett University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.